Home About Favorite Posts Search Photobucket

Sunday, September 5, 2010

It was Love at first sight....

Instead of doing one of my typical posts, I thought I'd commemorate this glorious holiday weekend highlighting one of my favorite stories this summer, featured on Blooming Rose Musings.  Back in early August, I stumbled across this wonderful blog and what caught my eye was this fabulous post called "I went to visit the Alpacas again".  

One click, and I was hooked... and this is the face that transformed me back in time to one of the best trips in my life - when I discovered the the sweet & gentle beauty of Alpacas.  



The beautiful photographs celebrate the sweet and loving relationship between baby Alapacas (which I learned are called cria) and their mothers at Windy Hill Ranch in Somis, CA.  What touched me the most was these photographs brought back to life - of a time back in 2002 when I was hiking up in the Andes Mountains in Peru and came across a herd of Alpacas out in the open.  I was immediately captivated by them, especially their friendly gentleness and curiosity.  

Suddenly, all these long forgotten memories of an amazing trip through Peru, from Cusco to the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu to Lake Titicaca - came flooding back to me.  

What has been so wonderful for me about blogging is that I have met some terrific people whom share the same passions as I do.  So I thank Susan at Blooming Rose Musings for reminding me about one of the best times of my life... and for loving Alpacas like they should be.


View from the top of Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
I fell in love with these two sisters.  I traded them candy for a photograph.
Check out Micky Mouse...he certainly makes his rounds.

A little fashion plate up in Lake Titicaca which is the highest navigable lake in the world at 12,628 feet above sea level. It was amazing - you felt like you could almost see the whole world.


An Uros Indian girl, who lives on the Floating Islands on Lake Titicaca off the shores of Puno, Peru.  The entire island is made of reeds from the Lake.  They make everything with reeds, boats, shelter, trinkets to sell.
When you step on the island, it literally sinks down like you are in quicksand.
At first I was scared, then I said - well in Rome, do as the Romans.
Here is the Alpaca herd that I came across.  This one and his little sidekick were so curious,
they came running over to me.
Out grazing on a Sunny afternoon.  The one in the upper right hand corner was
 actually trotting to come over and see what I was up to.
Their babysitter, aka herder kept a very close watch on me.
She was doing her job -  making sure I wasn't going to steal one of the Alpacas.
They are so sweet and gentle.  The background in the upper right corner was actually a lake.
The scenery was just beautiful.

My two favorite friends - they were together.  They may have been mother and baby.


Here is an additional post on Blooming Rose Musings from July called A visit to Alpacas at Windy Hill Ranch ..... that shows some amazing shots - here is one of my favorites...A newly born cria trying to stand up:




I am linking this post up to Scenic Sunday.


Happy Labor Day 2010!



18 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

Alpacas are so freaking cute I almost can't stand it!

NanaDiana said...

Well, you have hit on one of my loves. I have told MyHero so many times that if I could only have one outside animal it owuld be an Alpaca...and you know I'd sneak in two so that there would be company for the first one...lol

I think they are just the most amazing, soulful animals..and those eyes...oh those eyes...

Thank you for sharing the trip with us. I think I would have been a bit afraid of the "floating island" too. Deep water and I are not friends! Diana

Donna said...

Wow! What an incredible trip you must've had! Sounds and looks amazing! I have always thought Alpacas were just so cute and sweet! And those little girls are just darling! What a great adventure!

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh my goodness, Debbie! What a trip! What an experience! It was so much fun hearing about your trip and learning more about you. Alpacas are so darn adorable! I didn't know that they were so very friendly and curious. How fun! :) Loved your photos, sweet friend! :)

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Blooming Rose Musings said...

What a magnificent trip you had! I love your pictures with the breathtaking vistas, children and alpacas. Thank you so much for mentioning my blog, it certainly wasn't necessary that you do that. I am so thrilled to hear about your adventure and encounter with the enchanting alpacas.

Flotsam Friends said...

That is such a beautiful post. I didn't realise alpacas were so soft and gentle. I know they breed them near the Blue Mountains in Sydney and it's making me think I need to take my family to see them up close. Your photos from your trip are amazing. Aren't those children so serene. How interesting living on a floating island. I can understand you being scared at first. A wonderful experience. Pruxxx

Colette said...

Hello, I found you via Blooming Rose Musings and had to come and see. I have been wanting to visit Peru for so long and really hope that one day I will be able to go. thank you for sharing these lovely images and look into their world- love it all.those little sisters are so cute..and just looking at their way of life is so humbling-makes me think about unnecessary "stuff" that we here care too much about...have a lovely day Colette~Afrique du Sud

Cindy said...

Hi,
Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pictures and information! The thing about bloggins is that it is so educational as well as fun!!
Wonderful!
Cindy

Drawn to The Sea said...

How appropriate that such gentle, beautiful creatures live among gentle, beautiful people.

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, what a fantastic adventure and amazing photographs...thank you so much for sharing them!
Hugs
Cindy

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am visiting from Blooming Rose Musings. What an amazing trip! Your pictures tell the story perfectly of how wonderful it was.

Debbie said...

Hi Debbie! what a great post. LOVE all the wonderful photos! What a great trip you must have had by the looks of your pics. Thank you for sharing!
Debbie@houseatthelake

Cindy Adkins said...

Debbie,
thank you so much for your prayers...I really appreciate your caring and prayers at this time...
Hugs,
Cindy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

The Alpacas are all wonderful, but those photos of the children stole my heart ... what beautiful happy faces they had!

La Dolfina said...

What an amazing trip and I love how it has connected you and Susan and your mutual love and affection for those adorable Alpaca's.
I love Susan, she is so lovely as are you. Thank you for your visits to my blog and your lovely comments. I so appreciate them and will be back often to visit!!
Have a wonderful short week :)
xo

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Machu Piccu must be magical in person..., the amazing Alpacas seem to become more popular, good!!

And thanks for sharing your beach bum and cultured pearlness!!!

Oona Johnson said...

OMG, that herder would HAVE to keep a close watch on me, I WANT ONE! They are so precious.

I can't imagine living on a island made of reeds. How amazing. It really make you think about the things you take for granted and the things you don't appreciate, doesn't it?

sealaura said...

Those pictures are stunning!!!!! I fell in love with the alpacas and of course those darling children. Thanks so much for sharing these!