Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A dish of tiny shells & spices...

One of the things I love about holiday decorating is that you can use all kinds of things around your house - and by adding in a certain ingredient or two  (in this case - spices and juniper stems)...and next thing you know..you've got a great little vignette.

So I started with one of my 1960's vintage Haeger pieces.....


Some juniper stems...


Spices....


And some of my prized collection of tiny shells....  the first ones... I collected on the beach in Punta Mita, Mexico.. (the little tiney cowrie shells are my favorite)






And these little teeny tiny shells I purchased in a antique shop...the box says LaJolla Beach , 1929.  I treasure these little shells...some are so perfect and miniature.  












I love how this came out...and it smells delicious.  It is a nice way to appreciate my tiny shell collection.



8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a great idea. It really IS hard to showcase small objects like shells, etc. They just seem to get lost...and yet, there is so much beauty in tiny things. I LOVE those old shells from the antique store. What a fun find! Hugs-Diana

Jane said...

Perfection! I can smell the anise...mmmm.

Cat & Cricket said...

Very cool... very clever idea!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh this is completely gorgeous, Debbie!!! And how fun to make and use special shell treasures...it is so beautiful and I love the dish--wow!! It is exquisite.
Merry Christmas!!!!!
XO

Completely Coastal said...

Beautiful! I'm so loving what you did with the vase!!

Happy, happy Holidays!!

Also..., come share a coastal post on Completely Coastal Mo Dec 27th (through Jan 9th)!!! More info here

Donna said...

What beautiful shells, Debbie! I especially love the ones (I wish I could think of their name!) that look like little paws! I bet your arrangement smells wonderful!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

It looks beautiful and I'm sure it smells great! I went look for some whole cloves and star anise and the store was out of them! I will search again tomorrow.

Drawn to The Sea said...

Precious little minis, & using the spices is a stroke of genius. And the star anise is so pretty to boot :-)