Home About Favorite Posts Search Photobucket

Friday, November 26, 2010

Creating Sea inspired Christmas Ornaments

For those who are familiar with my blog - these last couple of weeks...I've been posting quite a bit about my coastal christmas tree. I was really inspired by the Wisteria  Coastal Christmas collection, starting with the coastal holiday stockings (that just arrived), to my coastal christmas tree inspiration book.  I finally decided on the tree that I wanted to model mine after - and it is the Wisteria tree that I love so much.  So, in getting ready for The Essential Beachcomber's first linky party on coastal ornaments....I've been really busy.  So starting with  my tree....

Here it is for another look.....
So I ordered all the ornaments from Wisteria, but I'm making some of my own this year using my stash of sea glass, coral and shells.  I decided to get creative this week....and ordered some supplies that I'm sure will keep me busy throughout the weekend.  The first set of ornaments I'm working on are glass balls, filled with little sea treasures.

I started with the plain balls....

These are the larger 4" ones.  I also have 3" ones as well. 
I don't care for the brassy color and this was all I could find.....
So some sea inspired spray paint to the rescue....
I filled the balls about 1/3rd of the way with glittered sand....
Gathered some of my smaller treasures....






I'm really happy with how they came out...
...now I need to get busy making more.
So stay tuned....


I am linking up this week to:


23 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Very clever and cute...can't wait to see more and your sea inspired tree!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Hi Debbie -I'm doing the glass balls too!!! Will start this weekend..., I bought tiny ones so I probably fill them with sand only and perhaps I crush some shells and add those too -so fun! Can't wait to see your tree!!!

Simple Home said...

They turned out so nice! I love that glittery sand.
Blessings,
Marcia

Carmel's Closet said...

Love, love,love these. Fabulous decorations!
Carmel

Simple Daisy said...

So cute! I love them:)

rjerdee said...

Looks as if we had the same glass ball idea...what's that saying?..."great minds think alike?"!

NanaDiana said...

OH MY GOSH, Debbie- Those are just the cutest thing ever! Your tree is gonna be absolutely gorgeous! I can see you won't be doing much beach combing this weekend! Hugs- Diana

Tammy said...

These really turned out great! I love the first pics with the stockings!
Tammy :-)
JUNK WILD

Donna said...

Your ornaments are stunning, Debbie! What a fun idea! I absolutely love the glittered sand. Where did you find it? Your tree is going to be gorgeous!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Your ornaments are so cute! You did a fabulous job. They look both Christmasy and beachy. I'm sure your Christmas tree is going to be wonderful.

Shellbelle said...

Your ornaments turned out beautifully! I love how colorful they are, so festive and perfect for a beachy Christmas.

Debbie said...

Hi Debbie~~your ornaments are perfect! I love the glittered sand you put in them.
I cannot wait to see your whole tree done in a coastal theme!
Hugs,
Debbie@lakehouse

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Very cool!! I have a ton of very small shells from last year so I should get myself on down to the craft store!!

Pearl Maple said...

sweet little beach inspired decorations, thanks for sharing the creative inspiration

Heaven's Walk said...

How sweet and how pretty, Debbie! Your tree is going to be so beautiful!! Can hardly wait for the completed project! :)

xoxo laurie

Beach House Living said...

I like your glittered sand. Love these and they are so easy to make!

Kaybe said...

Hi Debbie,
That aqua blue should be your signature color. The little rope bow is so cute - just the right touch to finish them off. I can't wait to see your tree. Thanks for being the 1st person to join my 1st linky party.

Take good care,

Karen

Loui♥ said...

Debbie..
your ornaments are adorable..
question,,with the shells and sand inside..
are they heavy?
can't wait to see your tree!!
warm sandy hugs..
Loui♥

Drawn to The Sea said...

They're so beautiful, & will really sparkle on the tree :-) Future family heirlooms, no doubt.

Vicki Boster said...

To think - I had these very glass ball ornaments inmy hand this afternoon and did not buy them. Great - now I am going back to the Hobby Lobby! These are fabulous!

Vicki

Debbiedoos said...

Those are super cute...I love it!

Mermaids Purse said...

Pretty project for Christmas. Adorable!
Happy Creating.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas,
Deborah Leon
www.mermaidspurseseaglass.com

Debra Howard said...

Very cute idea! Now I wish I had room for a little tree in my room that I decorate with seashells.
Debbie