Home About Favorite Posts Search Photobucket

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pink Pelican Designs....A Sea Sheller's Dream

Beautiful vases, gorgeous frames and unique one of a kind pieces...all adorned with seashells and other accents from the ocean.  Sounds amazing, doesn't it?  Well, it certainly is.  And in honor of Pink Saturday....I thought I would share the interesting story and wonderful creations of Pam from Pink Pelican Designs.

I first discovered Pam earlier this year, when I purchased two shell encrusted finials (see on my living room shelf below) from her Etsy Shop and have consistently gone back and visited her shop to browse through all of her artistic and unique designs.  



You can clearly see her love of the ocean in all her pieces.  Pam is a native Floridian and grew up until her early teens on the East Coast, where Amelia Island was one of her favorite beaches.  Her mother was born on Terra Ceia Island, a beautiful unspoiled enclave of old Florida on the Gulf Coast...and it's this heritage that Pam attributes to "the island lifestyle being in my blood".  It's a place where she and her husband still visit, to kayak and fish.

Pam's love affair with all things coastal continued when she married, as her husband's family ran a wonderfully idyllic compound on Sanibel Island called Tarpon Bay.  Pam describes it as "an amazing place – that included a marina, shell shop and dress-jewelry-antique shop called The Red Pelican".  It was also known as “Dinkins Bay” in Randy Wayne White’s Doc Ford novels.

Her shop is named with a nod to the great times that she spent there with family and friends – out on the water exploring the many fun and funky island spots and catching grouper, trout and blacktip shark for lunch or dinner.  Some of her fondest memories are going into the ‘shell barn’ with her father-in-law where shells from all over the world were in various stages of cleaning, sorting and preparation for sale in The Shell Shop.  Pam says "one of the nice surprises for me in dealing with some of my local shell wholesalers is finding a family connection from the old Tarpon Bay days....it truly is a small world".

Pam works on about 8 - 10 different projects at the same time - many are custom orders from brides, where she creates pieces that will be lifetime keepsakes.  She loves all types of shells...but feels sometimes the most interesting ones are the wave eroded shell fragments, worn smooth by sand and sur(I feel the same way).  She opened her Etsy Shop in the summer of 2009 and feels the Etsy community has been such a positive creative force and an inspiration.  She recently become a member of the Etsy All Things Coastal Team and has been amazed by the great work produced by this group of talented artists.  

When I asked Pam what she liked most about the beach, she said... "I guess what I like the most about the coast is walking the beach every chance I get, preferably at low tide, stunning sunsets, sunrises and even moonrises over the water, the lure to be outside and active, rollerblading, kayaking, biking, walking and intertwined with it all, the people.  It is hard not to smile at the beach!".  

And I couldn't agree with her more.  Hope you enjoy Pink Pelican Designs


Pam working on filling a large order for starfish and sand dollar ornaments.
Look at all those beautiful starfish in the background.  
What a gorgeous shell encrusted box.
A seashell extravaganza swag.
Such a pretty frame.  And the wallpaper is so cool.

Here are some of my favorite pieces
 from Pink Pelican Design's Etsy Shop:


Coastal Peace Sign Wreath
Palm Beach Pink Seashell Frame
Scallop Candle Lantern with Glass Hurricane


And this is my current favorite....


Shell Box with Olives, Cockles and Turquoise Limpets


Linking up to Beverly's Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound.  
Hope you have a Pinktastic Saturday!


22 comments:

Kaybe said...

I wonder who the big starfish ornament order Pam is working on is for...hummm? Love the peace sign. As I am fond of saying - we are making the planet a better place one shell at a time.

Take good care,

Karen

Unknown said...

Oh wow!!! Those are beautiful. My favorites are the box and the mirror. Happy PS!

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Love all this! Your blog is lovely. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted if you followed me back! Happy PS!

Arabella said...

Thanks for the introduction...she does lovely work. I like your choices too - the peace symbol is so unique!!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your PINK Saturday ;o)

Donna said...

Wow! Pam's work is just stunning! I love the mirror, and the boxes too! The swag is so pretty, I've never seen anything like it before. Now I'm off to check out her shop, thanks for sharing:)

rjerdee said...

OK, that does it! Enjoyed your pink post so much that I'm off to check out Pam's goodies! Have a great rest of the weekend!
becky (at beachsnaps)

Unknown said...

How neat! Thanks for sharing that talent with us!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

By The Seashore said...

I love the piece you have on your shelf and that frame is gorgeous too. Wonderful stuff she has! Thanks for sharing Debbie.

Donnie said...

Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Thanksgiving! Your shell work is lovely.

Drawn to The Sea said...

How wonderful, to combine your passion, your creativity, & your work. What a talented, & lucky, girl.

Peace,
Julia~

NanaDiana said...

Those are absolutely beautiful! I really love the shine that the abalone shells add to pieces. What a talented gal...and I love that aqua seashell bowl w/cover ! WOW!! Hugs-Diana

Unknown said...

So, so gorgeous, I see a Christmas present for my stepmom in the works! Great feature! XX!

Heaven's Walk said...

Did you actually get to meet her, Debbie? How fun! I'm definitely going to hop over to her site and check out more of her treasures. She's one lucky lady to be able to walk the beach under the setting sun every night.....*sigh* Does she have a shop on Sanibel? Thanks for introducing her to us, Debbie! :)

xoxo laurie

Mermaids of the Lake said...

Wow! Beautiufl things. How wonderful. Thank you for sharing her talent with us.

Simple Home said...

What beautiful pieces of art she creates. I've got to go see the items in her etsy shop. Thanks so much for sharing!
Blessings,
Marcia

Shannon said...

Beautiful!! I think the shell swag is so pretty! What a perfect pink post! :)

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--her work is unbelievable!! Thank you so much for sharing this, Debbie! Wow--spectacular creations!!!
XO

Cindy Adkins said...

I just went to see her Etsy shop...amazing!! Does she have a blog? I'd love to visit if she does.

Haddock said...

......skilled mastercrafstman.

Tootie said...

Very, very pretty things. :)

Vicki Boster said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful- is your blog. How in the world have I not been here before? I have been blog surfing this afternoon- and ended up here. I am in love with this fabulous blog. I am going to be your newest follower.

Thank you for sharing your passions in such a beautiful way--
Vicki

pam @ iLoveShelling said...

WOW! She is talented. I especilly love the round shell box with the aqua limpets. I so wish you could find those type limpets in Sanibel. Tarpon Bay Explorers iS an amazing place. She is a lucky girl to have been a part of such a beautiful place. Thanks for a great post